Friday, October 29, 2010

My Family Stories

Just like any little child, I too was read a story before bed. Me and my sister used to beg to have a story read to us before bedtime, and my mother was a great story teller. But the stories I really remember and loved were the stories my dad, uncle and family would tell.
Every year my uncle would throw a big party at his house in Oregon. The party was affectionately called The Farm Party. It was a very redneck fashioned party; around 200 people, A huge water slide constructed out of huge tarps, hay, jumps, sandbags and air mattresses. Along with old mini bikes, a swing that hung 30 feet from a tree and was very sketchy to ride, beer and other drinks, volleyball, all sorts of activities, many of which were created with a level of stupidity but that's what made them so very fun. My dad and family friends would play bluegrass and dixieland music throughout the day.
Later in the day when most of the people were gone and the band was getting tired (or trying to get sober) everyone would sit around in a circle and stories would start flowing. Many of which were hilarious and about pranks and adventures they did in college and high school. I would tell some of these stories right now but I don't want to risk getting in a little of trouble for discussing "inappropriate things".
But whenever I would hear these good stories I never wanted it to end. I wanted the campfire to just keep burning and the stories to keep flowing. But now that I'm older, instead of listening, I'm telling my own risky stories. Every time I do I get a satisfaction of watching everyone laugh and while my dad puts his hands through his hair. Whenever my family gets together stories are told, retold and explained, and everyone has a good time and wishes it wouldn't end.   
The Slide (2010)
The first year the farm party was thrown, the slide didn't have sand bags holding it down, wooden stakes were used. Every year somebody breaks something while going down the slide. This year we got lucky. The worst run was by me and I hit a total of 7 sandbags. I hit the first one at full speed and rolled across 5 of them, then drug the last one with me through the sharp grass. Luckly I just got a bunch of bruises and cuts on my back and ribs.... an hour later I was going down the slide again.

No comments:

Post a Comment